Panel Shop Technician - Actemium Toronto
Reports to the Panel Shop Manager
Join our team of industrial automation experts who innovate and smile, lots.
Are you a creative problem solver? Do you enjoy collaborating with like-minded individuals to achieve a common goal? Actemium Toronto is seeking a team player who has experience as a panel shop technician.
What you’ll be doing
- Assemble panel components as per panel layout and BOM.
- Wire industrial control panels including panel layout, power wiring, relay control logic.
- Install electrical control systems, industrial automation systems, or electrical equipment, including control circuits, variable speed drives, or programmable logic controllers.
- Plan the layout of the door components, including cutouts and installation.
- Plan the layout of the inner panel including shooting studs, cutting and installing wire duct and din rail, cutting and preparing PLC I/O wiring, installation of components.
- Prepare list of items for material ordering.
- Panel labelling including terminal markers, wire labels, group markers, and components.
- Panel power up and testing of all power distribution (AC and DC), validating wire gauges and colour coding based on project specifications.
- Diagnose, test, or analyze the performance of components, assemblies, or systems.
- Review electrical engineering plans to ensure adherence to design specifications and compliance with applicable electrical codes and standards.
- Review final panel layouts, wiring and marking according to contract.
- Drawing mark-ups.
- Set up and operate standard hand and power tools.
- Handle expensive equipment in a careful manner.
- Prepare panels for shipping (including pictures of panels, wrapping and securing to skids).
- Shipping and receiving of all material and components.
- Manage general shop material and maintain adequate stock.
- Manage project specific material in an organized and neat fashion while maintaining a neat work environment.
- Organize the panel shop area/floor including general cleaning duties.
- Work closely with engineering to complete projects on expected schedule.
- Other tasks as required.
- Read and understand electrical schematics, wire diagrams, wiring point to point.
- Understand wiring processes and identify errors.
- Accuracy and neat wiring practices required.
- Understand quality of work and implications of costs related to mistakes and rework.
- Ability to follow complex instructions and diagrams.
- Ability to work effectively as a team or independently with minimal oversight.
- Positive interactions with staff, customers, and other vendors required.
- Read, learn, understand all types of control systems that may be of new or old design as well as utility style protective relay panels.
- Understanding of electrical design, especially 600/480VAC, 120VAC and 24VDC power distribution and loop diagrams.
- Valid class G drivers license and personal transportation to travel to customer job sites.
- Will only consider applicants located in the Toronto area.
- College Diploma based on an electrical, controls and automation or systems design field.
- Certification as C.Tech. (Certified Technician) and C.E.T. (Certified Engineering Technologist) or A.Sc.T. (Applied Science Technologist).
- 3+ years working in an Industrial Panel Shop.
About your working environment
- Will be required to wear protective equipment such as: hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection, and steel toed safety boots.
- May be exposed to cold, heat and humidity, loud noise levels, and dust.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Local travel (Greater Toronto Area).
- Overtime as required.
What you need to know about us
At Actemium Toronto, you can put your creative problem-solving abilities to the test each day by supporting the execution of industrial automation projects for our various customers. You will be working with a local team and professionals from the worldwide Actemium network. Your efforts will contribute to work being completed safely, on time, on budget and meeting stated project deliverables.
Actemium Toronto is an established leader in controls integration, project management, and engineering services for a wide range of clients in a variety of industries. The main industries we support include Food & Beverage, Brewing, and Life Sciences. This is a full-time permanent role reporting directly to the Panel Shop Manager.
To be successful in this role
The Panel Shop Technician will support the fabrication of industrial control panels for our various customers. The incumbent must have the desired experience and be positive and cheerful, hands on, adaptable, enjoy taking on challenges, and able to cut through the small stuff to get the job done. Majority of work will be in-house, minimal travel to customer sites may be expected and the incumbent must be comfortable working at sites for varying amounts of time.
Accessibility is important to us
We are committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and work environment. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We are an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to recruit applicants, with emphasis on selecting the best qualified person for the job. For this reason, the selection process will include, but is not limited to, testing on the requirements listed above and a background check.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.